Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fun Statistics (For Funsies!)

I'm doing my rewrites, whee! I finished through Chapter 20. My goal is to finish 8 today, and I've done 4 so far. No work tomorrow, logically I could do 4 more before bed ;)

I began to wonder, what percentage of things am I really changing? Here's a short list of statistics for you (based on the first 20 chapters)!

Intro paragraph for chapter completely rewritten: (9/20) 45%

First or second (or both) paragraph for chapter completely rewritten: (13/20) 65%

Last paragraph of chapter completely rewritten: (4/20) 20%

Number of pages NOT containing at least one rewritten paragraph: (14/69) 20.3%

From this I can confirm some nuances of my writing style
- I start chapters with an idea, but don't pay so much attention to HOW I start it, just so I can get writing.
- I generally (more than 50%) go back and edit the intro to flow more smoothly.
- I know where I am going - so I need little edits at the end of chapters.
- I am critical on my writing and am willing to scratch and start over (at least small pieces).

Other fun facts (as I learned from the internet):
- Human thighbones are stronger than concrete!
- Ketchup was sold in the 1930s as medicine.
- Most lipstick contains fish scales! (Really, internet?!?)
- A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans.
- 20 million kids are eaten by bats EVERY SECOND! (This last one is a potentially offensive web comic. You have been warned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment